Dear old golden rule days.
Yes, it finally happened...our Anna started Kindergarten. I knew it was coming and as any parent would be I was thrilled and horrified all at the same time. It seems like she just learned to crawl and talk and eat solid foods. When in the world did she turn into a little lady ready to venture into the world all on her own? We've been preparing for several days now...practicing our nighttime and morning routines. We even walked the route to school yesterday morning just to see how long it would take us. Over breakfast this morning, I asked her how she was feeling. She replied, "My tummy is in a bit of a knot but I'm also very excited." It was a beautiful morning and the four of us enjoyed the "journey" (Anna's choice of word) to school. Lauren must have been feeling the excitement as well for once we arrived she told Doug not to put her down because she was a little nervous too. All the kindergarten rookies including our baby lined up outside Mrs. Warren's classroom waiting to enter for the first time. Once inside, we all partook in a scavenger hunt designed to help the children find their name tags, cubbies, play areas, and restrooms. At the end of the hunt the children were instructed to take a book and sit on the carpet waiting for the other students to finish. By this time, Anna was already angry at a male classmate who had refused to share a coffeepot in the play area. As I headed her toward the rainbow rug and book rack, she made several comments regarding some people's failure to play nicely! She was still complaining a few seconds later, so I walked over and reminded her that we wanted to start the day on a good note, happy and not sad. So, she took a deep breath and counted to ten. By this time, Mrs. Warren came over and led the children in the Pledge of Allegiance followed by the story of "The Kissing Hand". Everyone then blew a kiss to their parents and siblings and we were sent on our way....just the three of us...somehow empty and full all at the same time. It seems like the end of her babyhood but I'm trying to remind myself that it's also the beginning. She has so many exciting times ahead of her. I keep thinking of the saying that goes, "You can give your children but two things, one is roots, the other is wings." So, we walked home, knowing our sweetheart would be fine...she's ready for this new venture, well loved and "well-rooted". At lunchtime, we made the trek back to the school, where she flew back into our arms with a huge smile on her face, excited, happy, talking non-stop, and no longer nervous at all. Once we got home, we surprised her with homemade "Back to school" cupcakes and a balloon bouquet in her new school colors. Her response was, "This is the best back to school party ever." I just smiled...it's her only back to school party ever but that didn't make the compliment any less pleasing to her mommy's heart. So, we all sat down and while the girls dug into their cupcakes, I took a small bite of mine wondering what the next day, month, and years would bring. I know I've said it before but it all goes by so fast. We need to treasure each and every moment. Life is good and I'm so very thankful.