For rich and poor alike to pick.
I'll tear your dress, and cling, and tease,
And scratch your hands and arms and knees.
I'll stain your fingers and your face
I'll stain your fingers and your face
And then I'll laugh at your disgrace.
But when the bramble-jelly's made
You'll find your trouble well repaid.
--Cecily May Barker
--Cecily May Barker
The girls and I picked blackberries at Amber Oak Farm in Auburn yesterday. Fortunately, these blackberries were a thornless variety and so we didn't end up with scratches or torn clothes. We did, however, come away with stained fingers. It was so worth it though as we had a really nice time. It was a beautiful day with a nice breeze. Shade was provided by the berries as they are grown on wires above ground. I was thankful for this after a conversation with my mother about rattlesnakes prior to our departure for the farm. The girls would have continued to pick all day if we could have. We all tried to remember that it was just the three of us and there were only so many blackberry recipes we could make. Anna reminded me of "Bubba" from Forrest Gump as she came up with a billion blackberry recipe ideas. We started with a mixed berry cobbler last night. I thought it tasted great but the girls opted for a cookie as dessert instead. I bet if I'd put ice cream on it they would have eaten it!! We have two other recipes lined up for today and then I think I'll attempt to freeze some to share with Doug when he gets home.