is the name of an article I recently read. I found it after doing an internet search to see if I was the only person who wondered "Where are all the Disney mothers?" Can they really all be dead? The new “Little Mermaid” movie is now out on DVD and in it we're supposed to learn what happened to Ariel's mother. I had already been curious about that, as well as wondering what the heck happened to the moms of Belle, Jasmine, Snow White, Cinderella, Pocahontas, Bambi, Nemo and Lilo. Okay, okay, we do know the whereabouts of some of those moms. It reads like the poem about the wives of Henry VIII; MIA, MIA, dead, dead, MIA, shot by a hunter, eaten by a barracuda, and killed in a car crash. Anna has also noticed and even asked if all the mothers died from breast cancer. I mean, really, what is Disney thinking? Do they feel they can't have a heartfelt message about the trials and tribulations of a young woman if her mother is around? Not that any of the princesses are out there trying to make ends meet, finish a thesis, and support ailing, aging parents but still...c'mon. I guess a few princesses do have to fend for themselves but at least they have a support network of dwarves or mice at their beck and call. Now let's talk about Shrek III (not a Disney movie, is it???), there are some princesses willing to kick a little heiny and take some names. At first, when they learn the castle is being invaded and Fiona says, "We need to get out of here", they all assume "the position". When Fiona asks what they're doing, they respond, "Waiting to be rescued." Fortunately, Fiona convinces them they can take care of themselves and from that point the princesses become serious contenders.
Anna has been totally taken in by Disney and what little girl wouldn't want to be? There are beautiful dresses, shoes, and tiaras. I do get that...especially the shoe thing.

Lauren, however, must sense some type of conspiracy. She's never wanted to be around the Princesses, even when surrounded by the safety of family. Her survival instincts kick in and she wants to get away!


I mean, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the Disney movies and the music. I just want a few moms to be included in there once in a while. To Disney: Get your act together. Little girls need their mommies too!! ....and by the way, please don't ban us for this little tirade. We'll be dropping by for a visit later in the year and my girls (especially Anna) would never forgive me if I managed to get us barred from the "happiest place on Earth". If that were to happen, Anna may decide to include me in the laundry list of missing moms. Thank you for your time and have a nice day. :)
Here's a link to the article: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-brooks27mar27,1,1615725.column