Thursday, August 7, 2008

Operation Veggie Strike

I know how many servings of fruits and vegetables we should have each day. I know, but...it's not always easy to get that many into the girls. Thus the establishment of "Operation Veggie Strike". I had seen a condiment tray used effectively on "The Vegan Lunchbox" blog and thought I should give it a try. I purchased a tray at Bed, Bath, & Beyond and filled it up yesterday. I'm not going to hop on a Navy jet, land on an aircraft carrier and declare, "Mission Accomplished!" a la George Bush but I will say that we had a very successful first day. The girls snacked on the fruits and veggies on and off and at day's end the tray was pretty much done. Now, of course, the novelty could wear off quickly but it was such a satisfying feeling to look at that empy tray and know where all the food ended up....in their tummies! Today the tray is filled with blackberries, cantaloupe, apple slices, more edamame, broccoli, cauliflower and a little baked tofu. Wish us luck! Here are yesterday's goodies: