Friday, May 29, 2009

I think it's going to be one of those days.

What do you do for 12 hours in an empty house? If you're waiting for the punchline, so am I. :)

I really think it's going to be one of those days.

We've been up since about 2:30 this morning. That's really not so bad considering we planned to be up at 3:00. Doug just left for the airport and his flight to Atlanta. He'll be attending Alaina's graduation this evening in Peachtree City. We're so happy for her. I just wish we all could have gone.

As for those of us still here in CA, we have a "fun" day ahead of us as well. Lauren is coming down with what Anna had. This always happens on a Friday. There's nothing quite like a visit to urgent care over the weekend. Anna is responsible for her class snack today, a special one since it's to celebrate her birthday. Her homework for the month (which we haven't finished yet) is due today. Jacob woke everyone up, smiled a lot, sucked on his toes, and then went back to sleep. As for me, I'm supposed to sit in our new and empty house (which we still don't have the key for) while waiting for AT&T to install phone/DSL lines. I don't know if sit is the proper word since I'll have the kids with me. So, probably not much sitting going on. Of course, AT&T was very helpful and told us they would be at the house sometime between 8:00 this morning and 8:00 this evening. I'm hoping they'll narrow things down for me today when I call again. I'd really like to get Lauren into the clinic this morning which requires a call at 7:00 and AT&T won't talk to me until 8:00. So, I'm just waiting to see what happens. In the meantime, I've baked 3 pans of brownies for Anna's class, packed the truck for a day in an empty house, made a few paper flowers, and am cutting out some paper birds for Anna's party on Sunday. I finally settled on a theme and it's all about birds!


In other news, I'm pretty excited about my delivery from FedEx yesterday. For Christmas, my step-mom told me she just wanted a print-out of my blog. I decided to take it a step further and turn it into a book. I finally got around to doing just that two weeks ago. I guess there's nothing like Christmas in June! :) Anyway, Blurb offers a "slurping" option and draws directly from your blog to populate a book for you. Of course, you need to go back in and make it look the way you want it to look. I was really hoping I would be pleased with the quality as I started thinking this would be a great replacement for the family photo album. Two summers ago, I spent Doug's entire deployment putting together 15 years worth of photos into chronological order in albums. I never got around to journaling anything in them and always meant to go back and do it. With this book it already has a post for most daily happenings. As I didn't start blogging until April of last year, I went back and added "faux posts" for the important events I missed. I also really love how compact and light the book is....our album for 2007 must weigh 15 pounds and should really be separated into 2 albums. It's also very affordable! I've spent hundreds of dollars having pictures printed to put into our albums. I always have too many printed and then have 8 billion left over photos that we just stick in a drawer. Blurb offers several options. I chose their most expensive which was the hardcover image wrap with premium paper. With tax and shipping, it was only $75 and I don't have a box full of photos to contend with. Overall, I was very pleased with Blurb, the quality of the book, and the speed of their printing and shipping. I've already "slurped" this year's worth of posts into their software and am going to try and keep it updated through the year. Doug took the book with him on his flight today but here are a few shots I snapped yesterday evening.