Recently I’ve started phoning my dad several times a week with the funnyisms of the day. I’m not sure where that word came from or for that matter if it really even is a word. It just seems to describe so well the little jewels that spring from the mouths of my babes. I asked the girls the other day what they would like for breakfast. It’s very rare that they choose the same option and this day was no different. Lauren called for pancakes and Anna immediately put her bid in for waffles. I asked them to talk it over and let me know which one they would both like. They looked at each other for a moment and Anna finally said, “Alright, I guess I will have pancakes.” After a few more pensive minutes, I heard her mutter this little gem, “Waffles are really just plaid pancakes anyway.”
If the girls are going to watch TV, I would prefer they keep the channel turned to Noggin. Any other supposed children’s network bombards them at commercial time with items that they must own or consume to purportedly live a happy life. I’ve spent quite a bit of time attempting to convince Anna that you really don’t turn into a cartoon or meet a leprechaun or tiger just because you eat a certain cereal. Occasionally though, I do enjoy her observations of items that are being sold on TV. I came downstairs the other day and was quickly informed that “Space bags are the perfect storage solution”. According to her, you can put everything in them and they keep out moths and “oysters”. I had to stop and think about that one for a moment. I finally realized that Space bags were promoting their ability to resist moisture, and not the delicate little shellfish we all know and love. A few days later, an infomercial from the same channel caught her eye. We’ve been eating more fruits and vegetables lately and I’ve talked to both girls a lot about healthy foods vs. unhealthy foods. She was so excited because she had found a way for us to grow our own tomatoes, upside-down even, without, as she put it, “all that ground, back-breaking work!”
If the girls are going to watch TV, I would prefer they keep the channel turned to Noggin. Any other supposed children’s network bombards them at commercial time with items that they must own or consume to purportedly live a happy life. I’ve spent quite a bit of time attempting to convince Anna that you really don’t turn into a cartoon or meet a leprechaun or tiger just because you eat a certain cereal. Occasionally though, I do enjoy her observations of items that are being sold on TV. I came downstairs the other day and was quickly informed that “Space bags are the perfect storage solution”. According to her, you can put everything in them and they keep out moths and “oysters”. I had to stop and think about that one for a moment. I finally realized that Space bags were promoting their ability to resist moisture, and not the delicate little shellfish we all know and love. A few days later, an infomercial from the same channel caught her eye. We’ve been eating more fruits and vegetables lately and I’ve talked to both girls a lot about healthy foods vs. unhealthy foods. She was so excited because she had found a way for us to grow our own tomatoes, upside-down even, without, as she put it, “all that ground, back-breaking work!”
