Monday, April 7, 2008

A little milk to feel you better

There’s never a more horrifying sound for a parent than a “thunk” followed by your child screaming in pain. I’m positive I’ve broken some world track records racing to their side. I pick them up and comfort them certain that they have a concussion or broken bone based on the decibels of their screams. However, I’m always reassured that they will, in fact, live to see another day by one small phrase. With a tear stained face and in a quivering little voice, they always respond, “That really hurt but I think a little milk will feel me better.” I can never decide if I should be irritated by this little manipulation or just overjoyed that they’re not seriously injured. I often decide to go with the latter sentiment and so, off we head to the kitchen in search of a sippy cup and a little milk to “feel them better”.