Thursday, April 10, 2008

Big Girl Lauren

My husband and I spent a lot of time agonizing over our children’s names. It’s too bad we never had any sons together as we both easily agreed on a boy’s name. Choosing a little girl’s name was an entirely different matter altogether. I must have written down about 40 or so names which I found acceptable. Doug, however, was much more selective and I must admit he probably saved the girls from some questionable monikers that arose from my hormonally-induced fancies. When we chose the name Lauren for our second daughter, my step-mother thought it was a pretty name but better for an adult. S he said, “We can’t call her Baby Lauren.” For some reason, we began to do just that. So much so, in fact, that Lauren is now three and introduces herself to others as “Baby Lauren”. I must admit that I’ve been a bit lax in the potty-training arena until recently. Lauren has been working hard and so we continually commend her powder room endeavors by telling her what a big girl she’s becoming. I guess she’s begun to feel the change as well because yesterday when someone asked her name, for the first time, she said, “I’m big girl Lauren”. Sigh...our babies grow up way too fast.