Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Haircut

Today as I was picking out a book for the girls' naptime story, I noticed Anna throwing something behind the toybox in the playroom. I asked her what it was and she replied, "Just some hair, Mommy." As I began to pull out a second story, Anna said in a very timid voice, "Mommy, there's something I'm very sorry about." As this is a comment that never bodes well, I stopped dead in my tracks. I asked her what had happened and she said again very timidly, "I cut my hair." I walked over and saw two long thin bundles of hair. I let out a little gasp. I looked to my right and there was another little bundle of hair. I gasped a little louder. Anna then pointed to a spot behind the stuffed horse and there to my astonishment was a handful-sized pile of hair. We're talking adult hands here not toddler hands. I called her over to take a look at her head and it appears she just lifted the top layer and sheared a chunk right off. She was very upset and so I told her it would be okay but that we might need to go in and have her hair shaped up. Unbelievably though, the cut she made just looks like she is letting her bangs grow out and so no major trip to the salon was required. Whew! Maybe I should look into beauty parlor dolls to give her something else to work on.