Saturday, July 11, 2009

Conversations with the Peanut Gallery

I LOVE to sing even though I really CANNOT carry a tune. I mean it's not as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard or a tom caterwauling at night but I'm no Celine Dion. Anyway, I sing when I'm happy. Lauren, however, does not like my singing. She's always telling me to stop and to turn the radio off. She never likes the songs that I like and will whine through the entire thing. Well, it took me a while but I finally found one station she'll listen to all day long, without complaint. It's Elvis Radio on XM. She loves it. I can't explain it but I'm going with it.

The King....

and a hunk-a, hunk-a burnin' love.


My stepdad has a nice little cabin built out behind their house. It's very rustic and it's where the family goes for cookouts. Anna calls it Poppy's cabin. Lauren calls it Poppy's "cabinet".

Anna found a watch at my mom's. She proudly wore it everywhere. One day I asked her what time it was and she replied, "I don't know. I can't tell the time. My watch is on speed dial!" (Stopwatch setting)

Anna wanted to call Doug while we were away. She dialed our new home number, listened for a second and then hung the phone up. She looked at me with a perplexed expression and said, "Some lady said my party had been disconnected but I'm not even having a party!"


On the drive to the pet store, we had the following conversation:
A: Mommy, can I have a fish?
M: No.
A: How 'bout a puppy?
M: Honey, we already have a dog.
L: I want a cunafish.
M: You mean you want a tunafish?
L: No, I want a CUNAfish. Just tell Anna.
M: Anna, Lauren wants a cunafish.
L: No, I don't. I want a lizard or a parrot.

By this time, we had made it to the pet store. Lauren was determined to bring home a lizard. I tried to explain to her why we were not going home with a lizard. She was none too happy about that decision. So, for the next day and a half, periodically, she would yell out, "How 'bout my lizard????"

We were at the grocery store and an ambulance raced up, sirens blaring. The girls asked what was happening and my dad replied that somebody must have had a heart attack. I heard them talking about it in the backseat of the car a few minutes later. Lauren told Anna that somebody had a "hat" attack.

The girls noticed the "Piggly Wiggly" sign while driving through a town in Alabama. Anna sounded it out and said, "Pigg-a-ly Wigg-a-ly...ooh, I wouldn't want to eat there!"