Monday, September 28, 2009

Reno Air Races

Believe it or not, we are still here and still going strong. It seems like it's been forever since I posted last. I have a ton of posts to catch up on but it's just been nuts around here lately. We've had the entire interior of our house painted. The painters will be finished today! Everything's been in disarray. We'll get the upstairs back together tonight but then we're starting a carpentry project downstairs and it will be chaos once again.

In the meantime, here are a few pictures from our trip to the Air Races in Reno, Nevada, two weekends ago. To be honest, I had never even heard of the air races but it turned out to be really spectacular. There were some of the most beautiful planes I had ever seen there...racing and on display. We got there on Friday to avoid the crowds and it was just perfect....although hot, hot, hot. We started the day by watching Patty Wagstaff.

Then we took a stroll through several of the display areas with the old....
...and the new.
We watched a few races...
...and took a break for a little kid-style fun.

Lauren even learned to do back-flips.
Since the sun, heat, and noise were such factors, we tried to keep everyone protected. Sunglasses for the girls...

And a hat for Jake.
We made sure that Anna and Lauren wore headsets.

And for Jacob, we trimmed some adult ear plugs and used band-aids to hold them in place.
They worked great until he realized they were there.

We tried headsets.

They didn't last long.

We finally resorted to covering his ears whenever the planes flew by. He actually didn't seem to mind this option and so I spent a lot of time with my hands over his ears.
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get a good picture of all three kids at the same time. I saw the opportunity for a cool shot here with the planes flying in the background. The planes were in the middle of a race so I had everyone get ready to smile when they came back around. As you can see, this first take was not the one. I had about 256 more similar to this one.

I finally got this one and although it isn't anywhere near great, at least everyone is looking at the camera. Granted they all have racoon eyes, are squinting, and if you notice...there are no planes in the background at all! Oh well, I tried.

We ended the day with the Blue Angels. The kids really seemed to get a kick out of them but after the show was over, they were content to head back to the hotel for a little pool time. It was a really nice day!