I've been feeling a bit old and careworn as of late. Thirty-eight years of gravity and this left-over baby-weight have been getting me down. I was hoping to feel more comfortable in my own skin at this age but it seems I still have a long way to go. So, I've decided to take the proverbial bull by the horns and make this 38th year a year of self-improvement. I'm going to start today. Hopefully, this will be an uplifting 12 months...in more ways than one. :)
I had a very nice birthday. The morning started with a "Happy Birthday" song from Doug and the girls, followed by some sloppy, wet kisses from Jake. Throughout the day I received many phone calls, cards, and well wishes from family. Anna kept saying, "I bet Nana sure is happy today!" While Lauren repeatedly told me, "Today is your lucky day!!" Doug came home from work with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a fantastic chocolate cake. In one of the birthday e-mails today, a friend of mine sent some pictures of a trip we took to Turkey about 12 years ago. When Doug suggested Turkish as an option for dinner, I thought it was a nice coincidence. So, we drove to Rocklin and had a fabulous meal at our favorite Turkish spot. While we were waiting for our food, Doug asked the girls if they were happy that their Mommy had been born. They both said, "Yes!!". Then he asked them what they thought Mommy was like as a baby. Lauren responded, "She probably had cute hair, whined a lot, and somebody beat her."




Afterwards at home, the girls helped me blow out the candles on my cake. As we were taking the candles off the cake, Lauren pulled one out and said, "Ooh, look at the ear wak!" (She can't seem to say wax....not that candles have ear wax anyway but you get the point). Anna and Lauren drew many beautiful pictures for me throughout the day but I think my favorite had to be the piece of toilet paper with two googly eyes taped to it and a face drawn underneath. The caption read, "My girls and son are the best!" I think she hit the nail right on the head!
