Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Do you have any tape?

I need a little to mend my broken heart.

Yesterday and today Anna has decided that she does not want to go to school and leave Mommy and Daddy. Yesterday it started with extra waves and kisses blown our way. Then it progressed to a run back to the gate for just one more kiss and hug. It culminated with crocodile tears and pleading for us not to leave her alone. Today the tears started as soon as we got out of the truck. As of Monday, no parents are allowed on campus during school hours (unless you sign in) and you must say goodbye at the gate. Yesterday I told her all the things you're supposed to say to make her feel better but my heart was breaking in two. I really just wanted to pick her up, carry her to the truck, drive home, and climb back into bed with her and eat chocolate chip cookies all day. Instead, our wonderful neighbor happened to be standing near by and when she saw the situation offered to have her Lauren (age 7) walk in with Anna. After a few more minutes of consolation and hugs, Anna finally agreed to go in the gate. She and Lauren headed off toward the playground together with Anna still in tears. As they rounded the corner, Lauren put her arm around Anna and that's when I lost any composure I had left. I burst into tears and was sad, happy, and extremely touched all at the same time. I'm so thankful for my sensitive, sweet Anna who loves her parents AND I'm also very thankful for sweet, thoughtful new friends and neighbors who will go out of their way to look after our girl. (No, she doesn't wear glasses but she wanted to "play" being the teacher. Also, please ignore the quality of these pictures. I think I was having a serious off-day. I couldn't seem to get the focus right at all!)
Lauren will be starting school next Thursday. She's been there to see Anna's dismay and I hope she'll conquer heading off on her own with no problem. She's already expressed some reserve about meeting new kids and her teacher. I guess we'll need a lot of pep talks in between now and then.


These pictures cracked me up. Even though they're sisters they have a lot of dissimilarities except when it comes to their silly faces. They make the same ones!! Too funny.