Thursday, June 18, 2009

38 years

Today my father retired from his job at Coca-Cola Bottling Company after 38 years! Can you imagine doing anything for 38 years? I was 2 months old when he began work there. 38 years. Wow. The kids and I drove down to Mobile to celebrate with him at his retirement luncheon at the plant. I am so happy we went. We had the best time and I don't remember the last time I've laughed as hard as I did today. I think my dad is pretty special and it was nice to be in a room filled with other people who felt the same way. My dad is also really, really funny. He always had the perfect retort to whatever was thrown his way during the event.
There was a huge spread with ribs, chicken, potato salad, baked beans, and rolls. There was also cake and my new favorite cookies from Atlanta Bread Company.





Jacob also liked the cookies from Atlanta Bread Company. While everyone was posing for the picture, he decided to take a nibble from Granny's cookie. He was none too happy when Mommy jammed her finger in his mouth to make sure there wasn't any actual cookie pieces in there.
Someone had put together a table with framed pictures of my dad throughout his years at Coca-Cola including his original application for employment!

Several people got up to speak and present my dad with gifts but I have to say my two favorite presentations were from my dad's friend Jimmy Kane and my step-mom Elaine.

Jimmy told my dad not to think that just because he was retired that he was going to be able to lay around all day. My step-grandmother, Ms. Gertie lives next door to my dad and Elaine and normally has a list of honey-dos for my dad to take care of. Jimmy handed my dad a walkie-talkie and told him he had given the other walkie-talkie to someone special. At that time, a voice came over the walkie-talkie that said, "Danny, this is Gertie. I need you to come sweep off my front porch."
Jimmy then talked about what it was to be a "retiree" and mentioned when he thought about retirees he thought about his aging father. So, he decided to give my dad something he thought would be extremely useful in his future hunting and fishing endeavors, now that he was one of those "old retirees".
The camo walker even came with its own toy gun and toy fishing rods. The pink one was meant for Elaine as Daddy probably wouldn't be fishing alone.
The girls, however, quickly grabbed the fishing rods though and decided they were theirs.
Elaine then stood up with a list of honey-dos for Ms. Gertie and then herself.
She told Daddy if he had any free time left then he might be able to use this....

Daddy was thrilled.
So were the girls.
At the end, everyone toasted my dad with an ice-cold classic Coke in the bottle. I don't drink sodas but I have to say there's just something about coke in a bottle. It was such a nice day and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.