
Even though he’s barely a month old Jacob already has a ton of nicknames: Captain Jack, Jake Jake, Jakers, Gus Gus, Grunting Gus, Little Guy, Baby Doug, Popeye, Buddha Belly, T-Rex, Triceratops, and Jake Brakes. They all seem to fit his sweet little personality. The last four fit him particularly well as he is a grunter. He spends a significant amount of time during the night making noises that sound eerily similar to a semi jake-braking, the T-Rex from the end of Jurassic Park, or the little Kota Triceratops that Lauren received for her birthday. These names just pop up without much thought or effort. However, finding the name that would stay with him through his life was a bit more difficult. When we were pregnant with Anna, almost 6 years ago now, we both easily agreed upon the name Jacob. In the interim, the name Jacob rose to the top of the “popular names” list. Even though we didn’t want to give him the same name as everyone else, we felt it was already ours and already meant to be his. We had a tougher time with his middle name. Initially I wanted to give him my maiden name Rhoad. Unfortunately, that would have given him the initials JRK and we all know how kids can be. We went back and forth and finally decided on “Augustus”. People’s reactions to this name have been quite amusing and not always positive. Responses have ranged from, “Oh, really...huh.” to “Oooo-kay.” Otherwise, we’ve just been met with blank stares. The nice thing about this name, however, is that it is different and even better than that it’s a family name. You know how much I love genealogy and it’s fun to think that he has a name that belonged to one of his grandfathers. So, even though it may not be a popular name, we think it’s a fine name and are quite pleased. :)
I do realize that I have two other children and I promise to start posting more pictures soon. It's just been a lot of fun taking newborn pictures. He's growing so fast that I have to get them all in as he's changing so much each and every day. Thanks for humoring me!
Picture inspired by the talented women at "barebaby" but we're not even close to touching their fabulousness (is that a word??:)