When Anna was born, my world changed. I was immediately and helplessly in love. I nursed her for almost a full year and it was such a rewarding experience. Lauren came along and again, my heart was filled to overflowing. I tried to breastfeed her as well but after about 12 weeks we switched her to formula because of what we were told was a milk protein allergy. Jacob arrived and I find myself just giddy over him. I know that sounds a bit silly but I seriously am "giddy" when I know it's time to pick him up from a nap and nurse him.
Unfortunately though, he has been exhibiting a few signs that he might be headed the same direction as Lauren. As a preemptive measure, we decided I would go ahead and cut dairy out of my diet just to be safe. Then I read about all of the other foods to avoid while breastfeeding and now I've cut out everything but range fed turkey, sweet potatoes, brown rice, zucchini, squash, and pears. This is based on advice from the Dr. Sears' website. After a two week period, you gradually begin adding back one food at a time, a new one every four days until you determine to what he may or may not be allergic. Doesn't sound too bad, does it? I would like to think I am a strong-willed person but after only 2.5 days I am currently craving chocolate cake, bread, cereal and everything else I'm not supposed to eat.
This could, however, all be for nothing as I also read an article about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Apparently if the baby isn't spending enough time on each side, he may only get the foremilk which can cause gas and other intestinal issues which may then be misdiagnosed as an allergy. So, I'm attempting to ensure Jacob gets to the hindmilk during his feedings.
We've also discovered that he seems to get caught up after spending the night on his back. Doug has this problem and since Jacob is basically a mini-version of his Daddy, we thought it could affect him as well. Doug took him at about three this morning (the time when Jacob normally begins his "grunting") and put him upright for a few hours until his next feeding. No more grunting.
So, the questions arise....am I just crazy? Am I depriving myself of chocolate cake for nothing? Is it an allergy or only a foremilk/hindmilk issue? Could it be that neither of these things are a problem and he just needs to be more upright when he sleeps? Would love some feedback from you guys!
This could, however, all be for nothing as I also read an article about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Apparently if the baby isn't spending enough time on each side, he may only get the foremilk which can cause gas and other intestinal issues which may then be misdiagnosed as an allergy. So, I'm attempting to ensure Jacob gets to the hindmilk during his feedings.
We've also discovered that he seems to get caught up after spending the night on his back. Doug has this problem and since Jacob is basically a mini-version of his Daddy, we thought it could affect him as well. Doug took him at about three this morning (the time when Jacob normally begins his "grunting") and put him upright for a few hours until his next feeding. No more grunting.
So, the questions arise....am I just crazy? Am I depriving myself of chocolate cake for nothing? Is it an allergy or only a foremilk/hindmilk issue? Could it be that neither of these things are a problem and he just needs to be more upright when he sleeps? Would love some feedback from you guys!