
Well, we’re getting closer. I’ll be 37 weeks this coming Sunday. Both girls came at 37 weeks so I’m kind of counting on Jacob making his appearance sometime next week or so. I know each pregnancy is different so he may end up fooling us. I’m already dilated 2 cms and 50% effaced but the doctor says I could stay that way for weeks. I seem to remember being around the same numbers with Lauren at 36 weeks. I’m getting a bit more ornery each day but as long as he makes it here sometime within the next several weeks and is healthy, I’ll be happy.
I’ve had to talk to my mother several times recently regarding her choice of words she uses when talking to me. She’s seen a couple of shots of my belly and tends to respond with comments like, “Man, Baby, you’re getting huge...I mean biiiggggggg!” Something about the use of multiple “g’s” that sets me off, I guess. I tried to remind her that words of choice include “glowing, lovely, and fantastic”. However, on the phone with my step-dad the other day, he said, “Yeah, your mom says you’re huge. She said you’re much bigger with Jacob than you were with either of the girls.” Indignant, I let him know that I had gained 25 pounds with Anna, 27 with Lauren, and only 21 so far with Jacob. I’m really not as wrapped up around this as I sound but I am at the point where I’m actually feeling huge...I mean biggggggg. Nothing seems to fit anymore...even my maternity clothes. Still, I hate to go out and buy anything new because we’re almost at the end of the pregnancy.
Speaking of maternity clothing, why do designers believe pregnant women are interested in wearing a ton of bows and flowers during pregnancy? I also wonder why maternity dress pants only have “pretend” pockets. Sure, it looks like you’ve got a pocket there but it’s all stitched up. Don’t pregnant women need to carry things too?
My children have also been really great for my self esteem...not. :) For some reason they keep saying, “Don’t worry, Mommy, I won’t laugh at you or tease you.” What does that mean? I was sitting on the stairs the other day helping Anna get her shoes on for school. She said, “Wow, Mommy, you’re getting fat.” I asked her, “Do you think Mommy is fat or just pregnant?” “Well,” she responded, “You are preg-nick but you’re kinda fat too.” She went on to bolster my self esteem even more by saying, “You’ve also got dark circles under your eyes and lines on your forehead. That makes you look old.” She must have seen my expression because she quickly came back with, “But it makes you look wise, too.” Hmmmm. They’re both really excited about the baby though and keep trying to talk to him through my belly.
Doug has been super supportive and taken on a ton of the daily work. He comes up with some real memorable quotes each pregnancy. Some of my favorites this time around include, “You’re a weeble-wobble but you do fall down.” “Man, since you’ve been pregnant, you can smell everything but you can’t hear jack!” “Why’d you eat the baby?” (Lauren’s picked this one up and is asking me repeatedly.)
We are really blessed though and it’s been a good 9 months. I’m ready to meet our new family member but I’m also at the point where I’m getting nervous and scared. Doug keeps reminding me that I’ve done this twice before and I shouldn’t be scared. I, however, keep reminding him that I’m scared because...well, it hurts...a lot! :) Anyway, stay tuned. We’ll keep you updated!