
Then God said, "Let there be carnivores and there were carnivores.

Then God said, "Let there be milk-ivores and there were milk-ivores.

Or something like that.
Well, as of this past Thursday I am officially vegan...at least for the time being. I've been a vegetarian in the past and admittedly as a family even today we eat more vegetarian meals than anything else. However, last May I had a physical and learned that my cholesterol was quite high. I was very surprised but found out two days later that I was pregnant with Jacob. My doctor told me that pregnant women had unusual cholesterol levels and not to worry. She suggested I have my levels checked again after Jacob was a few months old. I waited until last week and had a cholesterol test done once again. I was blown away when the resulting number was "316". Doug found one of my old flight physicals and even a decade ago the number was around 260. My dad's cholesterol was up to 350 when he had to go on medication. I guess it could be genetic. I also found a study in an AMA journal that said pregnant and breastfeeding moms can have levels up to 325. So, anywhoooo it's a possibility that it's high because I'm breastfeeding. Either way I wanted to see if I could possibly bring it down by altering my diet significantly. I've been following recommendations from Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's book on heart disease. I'm headed in to see a doc on base tomorrow and it will be interesting to hear what he has to say. I'm also anxious to find out if there's been a change in any of my numbers. As you know, the Peanut Gallery is always up-to-date with family affairs. As Anna was eating a bowl of cheerios today, she read on the box that it lowered cholesterol. She asked me, "Mommy, do you have high "cholester-yol"?" I told her I did. She responded, "Here, Mommy, have some of my cheerios to make your "cholester-yol" feel better". You gotta love those sweet mac'n cheese-ivores. :)