Thursday, February 19, 2009

Conversations with the Peanut Gallery

Life with little ones often reminds me of that line from one of the Star Trek movies, "Resistance is futile." I've been doing my darndest to get the house clean and keep it that way for the Mathews' going away party we're hosting on Saturday. For some reason, every time I throw something away the girls dig it back out of the garbage. I know I've thrown away an empty bottle of Johnson & Johnson baby wash at least four times now. Anna keeps fishing it out and hiding it in her desk. She's also holding onto some used popsicle sticks that manage to find their way time and time again out of the trash and into a design on her floor. I just threw that darned shampoo bottle away for the fifth time but I'm not holding my breath that it will stay in the garbage. Little stinkers.

Here are some of the latest gems that spring from the mouth of babes...

While driving to Wal-Mart, I happened to look in the rearview mirror and saw Anna making a huge grimace. I asked her what was wrong. She replied, "I'm just practicing my sad faces for when you go to jail or die."

On Valentine's Day Anna told us that she knew our "love story" or how we met. According to her I was flying on an airplane and Doug was flying on an airplane. I was handing out drinks and we liked each other. Then we got married and met.

Lauren keeps jumping on the scale in the bathroom and asking me to come read the numbers by saying, "Mommy, come tell me how old I am".

I've noticed lately that Lauren's belly button has been really red. I finally asked her what was going on. Apparently she believes that Anna has an outie for a belly button. Anna told her that it got that way because she pulled it out to be like that. So, little Lauren has been trying to turn her "innie" into an "outie".

I sat down to help Anna with her homework the other night. This is what she asked me, "Mommy, do you spell "C" with a "K" or do you spell "K" with a "C"?

The daily clothing battle with Anna seemed to be getting better for a while. I think Doug must have had a talk with her. That all ended a few days ago, however. It was raining and super cold outside so I told her she needed to wear jeans, rain boots, and a sweater. She started to complain and I told her I didn't want to hear about it and to just go get dressed. I forgot that I had the monitor on upstairs but she didn't. As she was putting her clothes on, she stood right in front of the monitor and yelled into it the following: "This is the worst day of my entire life. I hate these clothes. This outfit is stupid. I don't want to wear this. I won't be cold. I can't believe I have to wear this...yuck!" I was downstairs and had just started feeding Jacob so I was a bit of a captive audience. She was determined to get the last word in!

Lauren had to get her 4-year shots last week. Believe me it was not a pretty sight. She started the afternoon with her exam, followed by making a trip to the lab to have some blood drawn and to give a urine sample. This part was especially fun. It's always just a barrel of laughs to fit 4 people into one stall while attempting to catch urine in a dixie cup. When, by the way, did it become necessary to require this of a preschooler?? From there we moved across the hall to immunizations. They wanted to give her "5" shots but as it had already been a traumatic day, we opted for only two at this time. Heck, those two almost didn't happen either. She began to cry and each time I got one arm out of a sleeve and moved onto the next arm she would redress herself. She even began batting at the nurse. It was not pleasant. Doug is normally the immunization parent. He's started his new job and so it fell to me this time 'round. I just need to say to Doug "Thank you, Honey!" for all of those times I didn't have to be the one seeing all of that take place. Blehhh. The girls are right...shots stink!!

Lauren is becoming more and more articulate. Lately, she's been trying different phrases on for size. She doesn't always get them right though. The other day she called down the stairs, "Hey guys, what's going "up" down there?