Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Seussicality!

Read Across America is being celebrated today in the girls' school.  Very appropriate as it's being held on the birthday of the brilliant Dr. Seuss.  The kids were encouraged to wear a crazy hat or to dress as their favorite book character.  We put together a couple of Dr. Seuss-inspired outfits in honor of the day. 

I wanted to make Stuart-Machlachlan type hats to go with the outfits; a fish in a bowl for Anna and swirls/bands of colors for Lauren but just ran out of time.  It was supposed to start raining last night and rain all day today so I was rushing around like a madwoman trying to get the skirts and shirts finished so I could take a picture before they wore them to school.  You moms know how it is.  It's virtually impossible for wee ones to wear any outfit to school and have it come home without at least a remnant of lunch, snack, or art on it somewhere.  (Sorry, momentary distraction as Lauren is pretending to be the Lorax behind me.  Hahahaha!)





We'd had to jump an electric fence to get into this field.  It's normally open but the grass-mowing goats are in town and a small fence had been put up to keep them in.  They weren't around and so I tossed each girl in and then did a karate-kid ninjitsu type move to get in myself.  I started laughing because Anna looked like she was trying to hold in her big, funny toddler belly.  Granted, she's almost 8 but she still has a toddler belly.



I told her she looked like she needed to find a bathroom and then everyone started laughing.
It only got crazier from there.  Everyone decided to spin and although they had an entire field at their disposal for spinning, they couldn't seem to do it without bumping into each other!











They decided to stop before they hurt each other and instead began to jump and balance and make funny faces.


I just love my goofballs.



Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

If you're interested in making your own t-shirts, see this post!