Saturday, July 19, 2008
Hip Hop Bad Guys & Hi-Ya Girls
It's amazing how much kids pick up from shows labeled as "children's tv". Recently I came across the girls kicking their bedroom doors. When I asked them what they were doing they said they were practicing being "China or Hi-ya girls". They had seen an episode or two of "Kim Possible" and so Doug and I decided it might be time to take that show off of the list of shows we allow them to watch. Two days later I found them playing "Hip Hop bad guys and Hi-ya girls which basically involved a lot of kung-fu type movements, kicking and an abundant use of the word "Hi-Ya!" They've even incorporated all of this into their dancing. Whereas, we used to have two little ballerinas, we now have some serious break dancing, hip-hop ninja busting movers. Everytime I see it, I feel like the song "Everybody was Kung-fu fighting" should be playing somewhere in the background. I guess the fact that we watch "So You Think You Can Dance" doesn't help as the girls dance much more aggressively these days. Perhaps it's time to invest in some "Swan Lake" ballet DVDs. Speaking of dance, I've just learned that Katee from this season's "SYTYCD" was actually a student of the owner of the dance studio Anna attended last fall. The choreographer Mia Michaels also showed up at the studio for a day of instruction a few months ago. If we were staying in this area and Anna were serious about dance, I think we could consider ourselves lucky to have such a great studio so nearby.