Friday, November 27, 2009
Conversations with the Peanut Gallery
I know it's been a while since I've posted one of these. I'm sorry I've been remiss about updating but we've been busy with daily life as well as attempting to purchase curtains for our first floor.
Anna was eating lima beans at dinner and said, "I like these green things." I said, "Honey, they're called lima beans." Anna responded, "I'd prefer to stick with green things."
I asked everyone at the Thanksgiving table what they were most thankful for. In a sweet voice, Anna said, "Native Americans and our veterans."
Lauren was watching a movie preview on TV and asked Anna, "Was that in a movie or here on Earth?"
Lauren has been giving Anna the dickens recently. I walked by their room and noticed Anna had posted a sign on the door to the room they share that read, "No Laurens Allowed!" It even had a small picture of Lauren with an "X" through it.
Anna has been having fun this week drawing with stencils. When I asked her how she drew so neatly, she replied, "I used these utensils."
Both of the girls were busy the other day drawing Thanksgiving turkeys using body parts. When I finally got to see the finished product, Anna had traced her hand and added an eye, a beak, and a waddle. At the bottom of the page, it said, "Happy Thanksgiving! Goble Goble!" Lauren had trouble tracing her hand so instead she traced both of her feet! They were the funniest and cutest turkeys I think I've ever seen.
Lauren has been learning Christmas songs for her school's winter musical. It's always a challenge to figure out the mystery words that she's unsure of in the song. There are some words, however, that are pretty easy to catch. My favorite "Laurenization" of a song has been about Mary and Joseph trying to find a place in "Bef-a-ham" to stay for the night. As Lauren sings it, "Knock-knock, knock Jofes and his wife..."
I was trying to get a Christmas wish list together for the kids to share with the grandparents and asked each girl what they most wanted for Christmas. Lauren gave me the standard reply: puppy, guns, swords, dinosaurs, and any and all toys $100 or more (she inherited her mommy's crazy gene that allows her to pick out THE most expensive item in the store). Anna, however, thought for a moment and said, I really want to fly." So there you go, grandparents. Good luck. I'm not sure how you'll wrap that one up.
Every day the kids take an afternoon nap. Every day they complain about it. Every day they make excuses and find reasons why they should not have to take said nap. My all time favorite came this past week. I said, "Nap time!" Anna yelled, "NOOOOO! I asked her why she was so opposed to the idea. She told me in no uncertain terms, "If I take a nap, I'll grow. If I grow, I'll get clumsy. If I get clumsy, I'll fall and hurt myself. If I get a scratch it will hurt when I take a bath. So, I cannot take a nap."
I asked Anna what she thought the tooth fairy did with all of the teeth she collected. Without missing a beat, she said, "I bet she has a collection of teeth big and small, short and tall.
Jacob is learning to say a few words. He says "Bath" quite often and has started calling "Ann-na". He loves to "throw things away" as in the telephone into the garbage, his socks into the tub, and his spoon out of his high chair. He also has learned that the toilet paper will unroll on the floor...he really enjoys this one. He is finally crawling on all fours, as opposed to his normal marine crawl. He's crazy fast and loves climbing up the stairs. Unfortunately, however, he also seems determined to throw himself down the stairs. He's a sweetheart though and adores his sisters. They keep him in stitches!
